Within our Supportive Housing Program, families are expected to meet the essential needs of residents including:
- Arranging for telephone & cable TV hook-up
- Providing medical equipment (wheelchairs, shower chairs, etc.)
- Arranging for prescription orders & re-fills
- Doing laundry (machines are available for use free of charge)
- Housekeeping (dishes, vacuuming, in-suite groceries, etc.)
Families of our residents are also responsible for providing:
- Hygiene products (shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
- Tissues, toilet paper & garbage bags
- Wash cloths & towels
- Incontinence products (unless other arrangements have been made by family with the Home Care Case Coordinator)
*NOTE: A housekeeping & laundry service is available at The Gardens on Tenth for a monthly fee; please contact the main office at 204-324-8945 for more information.
Residents may need a range of supports, some of which we do not provide. Family is expected to arrange for Home Care or private contractors to provide the following services:
- Make doctor/dentist/optometrist or similar appointments
- Give medication that is not blister-packaged (i.e. insulin, nitro patch, prescription ointments, painkillers, sleeping pills, etc.)
- Monitor or test blood pressure and blood sugar
- Clean or dress wounds
- Call for prescriptions or refills
- Lift residents if they have fallen or are unable to get up (family or 911 is contacted): no lifting or complete transfers will be done by our staff
- Deliver meals to rooms (unless the resident is ill)
A time may come when a resident’s health, safety and security needs can no longer be met by the staff and resources available here. Of course, such a change would be discussed with the resident and their family, and appropriate options would be considered.
*NOTE: It is also possible at any time for Home Care to discuss with family some options and needs or reasons to move a resident to another facility; this would be based on Home Care criteria and services.